If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: My House Guest From The Reservation

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

My House Guest From The Reservation

Wow, I had to delete hateful and angry comments about my French house guest (not to mention a few angry emails). Both were ad hominems -- for letting a stranger have a place to sleep?! Allow me to one-up my prior post then and we'll see if we can't really stir some feathers.

When I was 20, I lived in Albuquerque where I was attending the University of New Mexico. I lived at the time in a barrio-type neighborhood in a studio apartment next to the airport. I think I paid $350 a month for the place -- which wasn't cheap, my first place in a total horrid place was $270 a month.

One of my next door neighbors was a guy who'd just gotten out of prison (for what, I don't know) who lived with his girlfriend. As a funny aside, one time I gave them a ride somewhere and offered them each a piece of gum from a brand new big package of chewing gum. When I dropped them off, I reached for a piece of gum -- and found the pack empty! That explained why the guy suddenly had become unintelligible in the backseat as we drove along.

Anyway, one of my other neighbors was a family of Navajos who were trying to make a go of things outside of their reservation. One night my girlfriend at the time and I came back very late on a freezing cold night in ABQ (that dry desert cold in the winter can bite, though it's nothing like NYC's winters). Sitting on a bench in the apartment complex was this Indian woman wrapped in a blanket.

She stirred as we walked by, and opened her eyes. I greeted her with a nod, and she smiled back. "What are you doing out here?" I asked. "I thought I was supposed to meet my cousins tonight, but they're not here and it's freezing."

I asked her if she'd like to come into my place for some hot tea. She said sure. While we were in my place, I offered my gf if she'd want me to take her home. She said nah. So I had a La-Z boy recliner that I'd bought at a flea market and that lady slept in that chair that night, while my gf and I slept on the mattress that I had on the floor.

She left the next morning as my gf (who played volleyball for UNM) and I (who played hoops for UNM) left for an early morning of weights. She was very gracious and thankful of course, although I think she did feel quite uncomfortable when she saw the life-sized naked woman half covering herself in a shawl that my friend had painted on the wall.

I never saw her again. And, apparently, yes, get this angry people -- I lived to tell about it and it wasn't some scam!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww- what a sweet little white liberal in hiding you are.
we should vote you in as prez to the mother-fuckin united nations with that sob(s.o.b.) story.

HYPO-Crite you are...

8/23/2005 10:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know or understand cody, why someone would say that about you. I find you a very hyoallensegic writer who says what he feels, is that bad? In my book no, I think what you did for your neighbor, aquantance, and your new friend has a whole new meaning to friendship, it is to bad people confuse these 3 issues of love with something as you would say horrid, and to their white crap comment i want to stuff you with Africa which you have never been and only know because someone told you where it was. it is bad, bad for your skin but what is really bad is it that your black mother said hey boy they the white people think they are better than us semi black brothers is sick and you are sick because we are all americans except for you who place color before people, and color has no place for me in this world and if you can get that through your mother fuckin head it will really make a difference, just try it, it can't hurt and you will feel better. twmfwffy

8/24/2005 12:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well dean obviously does not know what the hell he is talking about.

signed,
-1st. Anonymous on top of this blog.

8/24/2005 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger Cody Willard said...

Still waiting for that name, hider hater. What's the matter, you ashamed of your posts?

8/24/2005 01:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home