If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Last Song of My Life

Friday, September 09, 2005

Last Song of My Life

What an interesting question someone asked me in that Cody Jams post below:

"Just out of curiosity, if you were allowed to listen to only ONE more song/ tune/ symphony and it would be your last..(hypothetically speaking of course) what would you choose to listen to?"

Hmmm, that's tough. I think I'd have to narrow it down by band, then by album -- but maybe there's a random song out there too.

I think my favorite band to listen to is Led Zeppelin. And I love Neil Young. And Pearl Jam. And the Beatles, the Who, The Beastie Boys. Up and coming favorite bands/artists of mine include Mos Def , Mars Volta and System of a Down.

Some of my favorite albums include NY's "Rust Never Sleeps", any of Zep's first four, Pearl Jam's "Vs.", the Beatles late 60s stuff...man, there are a lot. And the prob is I'm doing this off the top of my head without having thought it completely through.

But I'm gonna throw a curve ball at you guys anyway. If I could only listen to one song ever again, I'd choose Mozart's Fantasia in C Minor, K 475 for piano. My mom is an amazing classical pianist, and as a little boy I loved lying next to the piano on the carpet and listening to her play that song.

I know every nuance, every note, every beat, everything move in that piece and it always gives me the chills. Especially when I hear her play it. I don't go home very often -- haven't been to Ruidoso since the Christmas before last -- because it takes 12 hours to go door to door (no direct flights, and a three hour drive from the airport). But everytime I do go home, I request that song.

And it's just great. Sorry to get all sappy on ya', but as you know, I call it like I see it. Or in this case, as I hear it.

Unfortunately, even with three versions available on iTunes, all are bundled with entire albums. I listened through the 30 second sample of all three as I was writing this post, and the best one on there seems to be this version by Maria-Joao Pires.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cody, thanks for the response. Actually, I am not surprised by your response. From what little I know about you from your posts here and at TSC, you seem family oriented, sentimental and kind person. So your pick reflects a melody that has warm, comforting memories for you, even though it is not the best of Mozart's work or the best of all classical symphonies. I have found generally, questions like these tend to be a reflection of who you are. Although, I admit I thought you might go for Lenon's "Imagine".

9/09/2005 02:40:00 PM  
Blogger Cody Willard said...

Anon -- that's very kind of you to write that. Thank you.

As for Lennon, I do love listening to that song, and I do play a version of it on my gee-tar, but the reason I'd never choose that song is related to the spelling you gave the Beatle (Lenon instead of Lennon): From his song:

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world


No possessions? SHARING all the world? No thanks! I ain't no commie!

9/09/2005 02:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, sorry for the typo, Freudian slip.

9/09/2005 02:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just FYI for Mary - not all the posts by "Anonymous" are by the same person...some of them are mine, but I was not the one who asked the song question. I did think it was a great question and enjoyed reading the response to it though :-)

9/09/2005 04:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote the song question but sorry to inform you,Mary,that I am not the author of either of the two posts you mentioned. Actually, this is the first time I have posted on this blog; although I read it often and send Cody direct e-mails. Besides, lucky for you that I am not the author because you would have been dissapointed... I am not a man! (Not a lesbian either, not that there is anything wrong with that) Hopefully the right author will respond to your query and who knows.. Cody's blog might end up directing the course of love to you! Good luck to you!

9/09/2005 05:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again for Mary - I posted the Gibran quote, but can't take credit for the excellent marbles post. (And, like the other "song question" anonymous, I am also a female.) Someday I suppose I should stop being a lazy poster and get around to registering so I can distinguish myself from all the other people named "anonymous" :-)

9/09/2005 05:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to the previous anon from the song question anon: I kind of guessed you were a female but did not have the heart to tell that to Mary. I have never met a man,yet, who has quoted Gibran. That's not to say they are not out there. However, I suspect the marbles author is a male ...so don't give up yet Mary.

9/09/2005 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger muckdog said...

Is this a variation of the "if you were stranded on an island and only had one CD" game? It'd be hard to pick one CD or song. But the great thing about music, is that once you've heard a great song you can remember exactly how it goes in your head.

9/09/2005 07:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the anonymous who wrote the "marbles" comment: Are you saying that no matter what, in romantic relationships, you'll lose all your marbles?

9/09/2005 11:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let the good times and good people pass you by all in the name of a good excuse (travel time of 12 hours). How does that make your mom feel? How will she feel when she knows that you did take the time to travel to see her?

Try living in the sticks of Africa or the Far East (there's a reason why they call it the "Far" East....) before you complain about travel time.

As far as a favorite song goes... Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin...

""When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when,
But we'll get together then.
You know we'll have a good time then."


Don't forget about the people on your way....

9/13/2005 04:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home