If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: NMF: Dancing in the Sun

Friday, January 27, 2006

NMF: Dancing in the Sun


"Cody, you gotta meet us down at Sundance in a couple weeks," so said a couple buddies of mine from a new media company and an old one after I intro'd the two at dinner.

Now, I'm from a ski resort town in NM and I do love to ski. However, I'm not really much of a fan of movies in general, as my patience for formulaic, intelligence-insulting Hollywood crap is pretty much non-existent these days.

More to the point, I'm sorta working on overdrive lately with a lot of stuff in the works, along with all that daily writing, rock and roll, living life, etc --- and that little day job which dominates all aspects of my life and all nooks of my mind of running a fund.

Anyway, I pretty much didn't think I'd make it to Sundance. But the fact is that I had quite a few contacts from a couple little ol' companies that I'm invested in that you've probably read me or heard me talking about for the last couple years while they've all but taken over the world.

So in a last minute frenzy, my assistant found me a couple of tickets to Utah (which I haven't been to since Keith Van Horn dunked on my Lobos 7 times in one game, as I'd noted yesterday on Realmoney.com).

And that's how I come to find myself sitting here typing today's NMF from a ski lodge at the bottom of the slopes in Park City. We've got a couple movies lined up, a concert or two (including Liz Phair, someone I've always had a bit of a crush on, and a private concert with the Counting Crows -- one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar...guess which one), and a bit of skiing to boot. I'm happy I came here.


So today's New Music Friday is a special movie edition.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two movies to highlight, though they're not "new" (I will however highlight any new movies that I see here that are any good, so stay tuned this weekend or on Monday).

The first is "pi", the first movie by Darren Aronofsky. I also highly recommend his Requiem of a Dream too.

Great line from the movie: "That is the truth of our world, Max. It can't be easily summed up with math..." - Sol

And, please no comments about how I probably like this movie so much because I relate to the paranoid, delusional main character who's obsessed with trying to make sense of Wall Street.

The other movie? Star Wars. And I make no apologies for loving this one. Up until just maybe five years ago, I still often dreamed at night that I was Luke. Though Han is my favorite character.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pi is a pretty good movie. As Einstein said "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts".

Why apologize for Star Wars? It is one of the best sci-fi movies made with great special effects, especially when it was first released, but the story line cannot be anymore formuliac than a hero saving the princess! But dreaming of being Luke until you were 28??? You are leaving yourself wide open with that one kid but I will be nice and refrain from commenting on that(snicker!!!)

I also disagree with you that ALL Hollywood movies are formuliac. Majority are, but if I look at 100 best movies ever made, and I am a big movie fan, among my favorites, very few were considered to fit the formula when they were first released. Success of those movies actually ended up creating different formula subsequently. Even just looking only at movies since the 70's, Jaws, a box office hit, was not a formula movie neither was Pulp Fiction, The Deer Hunter, Raging Bull and many more. Woody Allen movies or Clint Eastwood directed movies are hardly formulaic including Unforgiven, Mystic River and the recent box office hit the Million Dollar Baby.

But why limit movie watching to Hollywood? There are world movies at Sundance and you can hardly make the argument that the past best foreign films are formulaic. Some of the old and newer best foreign films you should check out when you get back: Un Chien Andalou, 8 1/2, The Bicycle Thief, Roshomon, Raise the Red Lantern, Ran, Amelie , I can go on and on. Recently they are showing, on cable, Osama (nothing to do with OBL but a haunting movie) and The Central Station, both worth watching.

Btw, I believe there are two docu at the Sundance that you would relate to "Wide Awake" and I think there is another one on the science of sleep.
MV

1/27/2006 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Cody Willard said...

I'll flip that Star Wars dreams part on ya. I was thinking after I wrote that about my Star Wars dreams that it's a bummer that I've now lost that part of my youth.

And yeah, of coruse there are good movies out of both Hollywood and elsewhere...it's just that they are so far and few between and I don't have much patience these days.

1/27/2006 07:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a mini flip? :)
MV

1/27/2006 09:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anoynous said, Star wars retured their jedi was filmed where I lived in /snith river, Ca, It was a great movie, but everybody leaves there selves wide open because we all you know it is hollywood. dosn't get the Story right. Just go and see a great movie about a guy and his motorcycle in opens tomorrow the 3 or feb about a guy and his Indian motorcycle. We have not seen it yet , but think it is going to be a good movie, if you like motorcycles and the fastest. this is for you. Claudia

2/03/2006 02:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home