If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Geometry...er, I mean Geography

Friday, February 25, 2005

Geometry...er, I mean Geography

Speaking of Slovakia (read the "Communications" post below and do the math) -- Nice how the editors at the USA Today bother to check the map before sending out their publication to 22 million subs. Slovakia, Slovenia -- eh, what's the difference.

My first boss on Wall Street, who taught me so very much about being a professional used to tell me, "Cody, vwot is zis bullsheet? Zer is no 'double-check'. Check it vwonce and get it right ze first time."

Also reminds me of trying to buy an official USA Olympic T-shirt over the phone in 1984. The sales lady told me "We don't ship out of the US."

"But I'm in New Mexico."

"Yes, and we don't ship out the country."

Spoke to her manager too, and he told me the same thing. I never got that T-shirt, because even as a kid, I was very impatient, and I ended up hanging up and getting on with my life.

One of the fifty is missing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once upon a time I was asked how i spoke "so good english" while I was trying to order something from New York. I was then informed that there is a surcharge for internationally shipped products. Instead of hanging up the phone, I explained that New Mexico joined the Union in 1912, that you cannot say "so good english" and that he should hold on to this job because he sure as hell isn't getting a better one. Then I canceled my order.

2/25/2005 02:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geography... er, I mean simple mathematics. Cody has tripped a circuit in my brain that I thought had been deeply repressed after moving from Chicago in 1999 after 7 years of residence there.

What is it 'bout all those Chicagoans that refer to anything south of I-80 in the state of Illinois as "downstate"? Keep in mind this geography represents 4/5ths of the entire state. Isn't downstate technically at least the lower 1/3rd of a state, which would make Mount Vernon, IL roughly the start of down state Illinois?

The real kicker? Rockford, Illinois which is west of Chicago is also considered "down state" to born and bred Chicagoans. In essence, anything outside of the suburbs of Chicago is downstate.

I know, I've got issues.

Now Cairo, Illinois... that is certainly downstate. :o)

2/25/2005 08:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MANY moons ago, around the same time you were ordering the ill fated Olympic t-shirt, I was attending grad school at NMSU in Las Cruces; at the time, considered one of The Cultural Hubs of the Universe.

Returning home for the Christmas holiday proceeding my first semester, it took me over an hour to convice a number of family members not only was New Mexico a state, but english was spoken there and, for the most part, running water was available AND safe to drink!! With a combination of rueful disgust and embarrassment, I must admit if my family had a coat of arms, the latin would be loosely translated as "Ignorance in Ubiquity". Unlike Cody and Sol, I was unable to cancel MY order. Peace.

2/28/2005 10:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez....It wasn't as if you said you were from The Republic of Texas or anything.

3/01/2005 12:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home