If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Judging People's Actions and Beliefs

Friday, March 04, 2005

Judging People's Actions and Beliefs

I'm going to take that racism post a step further and delineate an underlying theme in that write up. That is, there's absolutely nothing wrong -- and in fact, everything right -- with judging someone's actions...or beliefs for that matter.

We can, and should, judge people for things they have control over. We can't, and shouldn't, just people for things they have no control over.

Think about it: if someone chooses to carry a gun down the street -- I'm going to judge them as a suspicious character. Someone uses a payphone at the W -- sure, perhaps they're from out of the country and don't want to pay roaming charges...but there's nothing wrong with wondering if they're up to something no good, given that most crime communication is done over payphones.

Likewise, we judge a person's belief system eight days of the week. I'm not a religious man, and I do judge people who are overly zealous about their religion. And you might judge me for not being religious. Nothing wrong with that, though I think I might surprise you if you asked me about my belief system.

In fact, in a second derivative kind of way -- I pass judgment on people who actually believe and/or act racist. Racists are idiots -- and I base that statement on a judgment of such people's beliefs and acts.

On the other hand, someone's born black, Arab, white, Israeli, whatever-- you can't try to pigeonhole an individual on such a born-with characteristic.

Fight your mind to free your mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home