If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: No Tears for College Coaches

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

No Tears for College Coaches

Back in the day, I had myself a 42" vertical jump or so, and I could jam like nobody else. I played hoops at the University of New Mexico for one Dave Bliss. Now what I'm about to say, I say having worked around and on Wall Street for nine years -- Dave Bliss was one of the most evil men I've ever been around (let's hope he gets his just deserts and goes to prison for obstruction of justice).

To be clear, I have no first-hand observation of players at UNM on the receiving end of benefits outside the bounds of acceptability. In fact, some of the best players that I played with (and was roomies with) like Charles Smith, are some of the classiest folks I know. But let's just say that the dudes from the boondock ghettos in North Carolina who didn't have a pot to piss in, but were driving around in Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorers -- well, something fishy was going on.

Anyway, this isn't a post about Dave Bliss specifically. But while I read these headlines and stories about this terrible mistake that some supposed leader of young men made -- John Chaney over at Temple that is (yeah, I'm sure he's really sorry)-- I'm reminded of how morally corupt all of college sports is.

Whether citing the ridiculous subsidies that the sports that nobody cares about gets or the exploitation of the great players who get nothing (legally, at least), while making millions for their coaches (like Bliss and Chaney and, yes, Krzyzewski at Duke who's made tens of millions) and their schools -- well, the whole shebang is wrong.

Here's a novel concept -- privatize that shit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree that college sports is a big business, but let's not paint all student/athletes, their coaches and programs with the same brush.

Some programs take great pride in graduating their players (UNC, Duke, Stanford) while others are doing nothing more than hiring mercenaries for a year or 2 (Cincinatti, UGA, Louisville).

Are all of these athletes Biology or Business majors? No, but neither was I. Are they taking crip classes just to get their Sociology degree? Yes, but I took my fair share of crip classes too.

The new Academic Progress Reports by the NCAA are a start to academic accountability by these schools. If players aren't on track to graduate or don't graduate their players, they lose scholarships which are the lifeblood of programs.

As far as donors giving huge bucks to schools. I think people should be able to give how much they want to whomever they choose. I don't think we can play the morality card on financial gifts, because many of those people giving to the new Stadium are also funding an art program or the Business school.

College sports is no longer collegiate, but let's not paint it as professional yet.

3/17/2005 06:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home