If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Denim is the New Black

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Denim is the New Black

I'd worn a suit only a handful of times and didn't even own a dress jacket, much less a suit, when I moved to NYC from New Mexico nine years ago. Spent about 10% of all the money I brought with me to this city for my first suit -- a classic blue Hugo Boss for 500 bucks from Bloomie's.

On top of that, I had to essentially replace my entire chillin' wardrobe over the course of the first year or two. Not an easy task, given I had NO spare money that first year and a half -- took my first job at Starbucks after I realized all those jobs I'd been reading about in the NYTimes classified were for cold-callers...not that I knew what that meant at the time, I could just tell after the first couple interviews that I didn't want to work with those places... I digress though.

See, the problem was that I wore mostly jeans and had very few black items at all. Meanwhile, you had to go out in black or something hip/urban in NYC in the late 1990s, you know? Anything less than hardcore urban just wouldn't work.

Fast forward to 2005, and denim is truly back. Hardcore urban ain't what it used to be. And denim to a classical concert at Carnegie Hall? Did it last Friday. Denim to a club in Downtown NYC? Fit right in last month.

Gotta love those jeans. Ironically, last year, I ventured into the Hugo Boss store here in NYC for the first time a few years. Bought myself, among other things, a pair of Hugo jeans. Bought an identical second pair today cuz I like 'em so much. Full circle, huh?

Denim is the new black. I'm gonna go out into this rainy evening wearing....yup, jeans.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is bullshit.

I wore denim pants and jacket to several upscale NYC restaurants this weekend and was denied admission to every one.

Is it wrong that all of my denim is acid-washed?? One man's acid wash is another man's Redneck Tuxedo.

OK, that was a joke. I live in Georgia, so you can expect black to be arriving shortly with those fancy designer jeans in a few years.

By the time denim is out in NYC, I will finally be busting a sweet pair of Deisel jeans with a cashmere blazer and my buckled G's.

5/01/2005 07:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wear jeans real 501, same ones we wore in in the sixties, you guys are to young, but sneaking our jeans on after we left our parents home in a car flying to the next concert or Love In, the more holes were better, and faded, this gave you a pass to see Jimmy Hendrix, Cream, Doors,Queen,Buffet,Clapton,Young bloods,Led Zepplin,I can go on and on ,but I have to say my favorite was JH, I have never to this day seen anyone play a guitar like Jimmy Hendrix.

5/02/2005 09:38:00 PM  
Blogger Cody Willard said...

Funny feedback. FWIW, black actually faded (pun intended) in NYC a few years ago. I'm just saying that jeans are big time IN.

5/03/2005 07:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home