If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: New Rules for Our Alphabet

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

New Rules for Our Alphabet

Ever notice that consonants in the American English language can be primary, secondary, or tertiary?

S is always a primary at the beginning of a sound. Sit. Slow. Space. Strike. Etc.

P can be primary or secondary at the beginning of a sound: Pit. Spit. Splice.

L can be primary, secondary or tertiary: Lose. Slow. Split.

B and G are other examples of consonants that can only be primary.

You follow me?

Sigh, back to work for now, I guess.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cody Willard said...

Right, mom. But note that I stated that I'm looking at the "beginning of a sound".

I would like to hear more about consonant blends in the middle and end of a word.

4/27/2005 07:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No offense, but you Willards must be really bored.

4/27/2005 07:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about when the sound isn't there due to some idiosyncracies within our language? For example, "philosophy" or "Pterodactyl" come to mind. Also, Cody, not to be ADD or anything, but you must be pretty secure in your relationship with your Mom. I'm jealous because I wouldn't dare write "darn" knowing my Mom might see it! I know, I know...deep seated. Peace.

4/27/2005 09:37:00 AM  
Blogger Cody Willard said...

Note that I'm looking at the "beginning of a sound" not at the ending sound, which are what you're citing in your examples.

4/29/2005 10:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm dude, this string explains so much... I love crafting the language, but this is mindnumbing. No disrespect Mrs Willard.

4/29/2005 09:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A linquistic page which almost but does not quiet touch on what you are discussing -

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/courses/Summer_2004/ling001/lecture7.html

4/30/2005 02:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home