If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Flipping the Industries

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Flipping the Industries

I've been exposed to the retail clothing industry pretty heavily in the last couple weeks. Last night, for example, my friends who run Poppy clothing store in Soho (at Mott and Houston, and yes, you really should go check it out), had this party/promotion thing with one of their primary lines, called Mint.

Anyway, Leslie (who runs the place) had asked her hubby and I to serve champagne at the event. So I'm at this woman's clothing event surrounded by dozens of women. Designers, shoppers, interns, etc etc.

I'm off the market, so no big deal either way. But I got to thinking -- why is it that so many straight men go into telecom instead of fashion? And why is it that there is a higher percentage of gay men who go into women's clothing than go into telecom?

I mean, I've been to dozens of telecom conferences over the years and they are dominated by men -- men, men, men ... most of whom are presumably straight, granted. But if I were a gay man, wouldn't it make more sense to get into an industry where I'd be surrounded by men? And as a straight man, shouldn't I have jumped into an industry where I'd be surrounded by fashionable women?

Talk about a classic "flip it" scenario!

In the meantime, let me finish up this Wall Street & Technology magazine on my desk.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CW - What a great observation...I used to work in retail right outta college(Neiman Marcus '89), a great way to get a wardrobe at 40 -70% off, and although naive, I couldn't believe the amount and availablility of hot chicks in the store. It was to my great dismay the the old guys in the suit department were a little dodgy, but I did pick up some unreal G. Armani suits to interview in... HHOOHAAAA

6/04/2005 04:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cody. You mentioned several times on this site that life in Iraq today is better than it was under "the mass murderer Sadam."

Take a look at Juan Cole's blog - http://www.juancole.com/ -and scroll down to a 6/3 posting entitled, "12,000 Dead in Iraqi Guerrilla War
Rate of Killing Same as Under Saddam."

6/05/2005 09:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it seems to me that the reason you don't "see" more gay more in telecom is because they aren't the same type of gay men in fashion. the gay man in fashion is overt; the gay man in telecom is indistiguishable. i think your NY hip lifestyle makes you quite blind to "real" people everywhere-- the assumption more or less proves this to be true. open them eyes.

6/06/2005 12:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the assumption more or less proves this to be true."

well said, anonymous. i'm gay, and used to work in the IT department of a prominent investment bank. I dealt with many gay telecom vendors, not to mention knew many folks in the various business units who were(and still are!) gay.

6/06/2005 01:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home