If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: The Theft of Irony

Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Theft of Irony

Last night, after a 16 hour day on 3 hours sleep, I had to get some exercise. Obviously, I was in no shape to play hardcore pick up ball at the courts I usually play at, so I went over to the smaller courts by my apartment just to shoot. Some pretty good guys were playing pick up and needed a sixth, so they talked me into playing, despite my exhaustion.

I played a game with them, and my team won pretty handily. After the game, the tall lanky white kid who'd been trying to cover me says something and I pick up a midwest accent from him.

Me: "Where you from, man?"
Him: "Small town in Iowa."
Me: "Ah, how long have you been in NYC?"
Him: "Three weeks. I'm an editor at a Christian magazine," he said, with what I found to be suprising obvious embarrassment and expectation of catching shit for that job.
Me: "Ah, how'd you find this place to play?"
Him: "I live across the street, and I don't want to play over at the other courts," which by the way, he was good enough to play at. "Those guys over there are like future criminals and drug dealers. Some kids wanted to borrow my ball, so I just went home."
Me, realizing of course what this kid is actually talking about is the fact that those hardcore courts are populated with probably 80% black guys: "Whoa. You do realize that 'those guys' are just like everyone you know in Iowa. About the same ratio of bad guys there as there are at the courts you used to play at in Iowa." And to drive my point home, "And wouldn't God say the same?"
Him: "Yeah, I guess."
Me: "Listen, I have asked kids on the side of the court to hold my $1500 Breitling watch while I play. And everytime I've gotten it back."

So we played one more game. Some goof ass on my team tried to block a shot and came flying out of nowhere to hit me in the face, and I now have a fat lip. The goof lands wrong and limps off. I was so pissed. I was already exhuasted and ready to just go home, so I look around for my ball.

You guessed it: Someone had stolen my ball!

I can't decide if the fact that someone stole my ball after me having said that the Iowa kid shouldn't worry about such things is the ironic part.

Or if the fact that my ball was stolen on the non-hardcore courts where this kid felt safer is the ironic part.

I do know that this theft is ironic. And that now I need a new basketball.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crime rates do in fact vary by race. You can argue about why that's the case, not whether it is the case. Asian-Americans have the lowest rates of commision, followed by caucasions and then blacks and hispanics. Here's the FBI/DOJ link: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm

6/16/2005 06:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Rural squeal like a pig Deliverance Arkansas." Interesting how some stereotypes are acceptable and some aren't, isn't it? Give me rural America, black or white, any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Last post.

6/17/2005 12:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it is worth, I would like to offer a woman's perspective. I lived in NYC for over 17 years, on the upper East side. It so happens that when I was new in NYC, I got off at the wrong stop on the subway and ended up in Harlem. Disclosure I am Asian-American. Having heard all the horrible stories, I was afraid. On top of that I was naturally shy and timid. But all my fears turned out to be unfounded. A bunch of guys, African- American, hanging out in the street gave me the right directions and I got back home safely. On the other hand, I was physically groped in broad daylight on the upper east side by a Caucasian male hanging out with his Caucasian male friends. One of my Caucasian girl friend had her purse ripped out of her hand, again in broad daylight, on Madison Avenue by a Caucasian male as well. On many a late nights when I walked home, I encountered groups of African-American kids but not once was I ever hurt in any way.

6/17/2005 04:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've said it before; I have friends who are African American, Asian, gay, amongst many other varieties of humans. I just happen to be white. I treat people in the way that they treat me. However, one can never be too careful given a pre-exisiting good reason for cautiousness. Call them racist, or call them well-informed.

People stereotype themselves. Harsh, or true?

6/19/2005 06:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read Mr. Willard's post and wanted to make some final comments. I agree with his sentiments re treating people as individuals and not "extrapolating guilt" as he puts it. I also want to make clear, again, that I am not implying a genetic component to higher crime rates. However, I cannot agree with his statement that there is only a "slight" difference in crime rates. It's disproportional representation that I'm talking about. Blacks make up 12% of the population and commit 50% of all violent crime. That's not a "slight" variance. As far as interracial crime goes, blacks victimize whites at 8-9X the rate of white on black crime. Think aobut that the next time you hear some sanctimonious journalist or politician lecture you about "hate crimes." Does this mean that the black guy you play ball with or sit next to at the office is a criminal? Of course it doesn't. Should I be worried that my white neighbor is a serial killer because the overwhelming majority of serial killers are white men age 25-55? How about my Harley-riding uncle? Should I suspect he's involved in crystal Meth because that portion of the drug trade is controlled by white biker gangs? Umm, no.

We are always being told that we have to have a "frank discussion" about race in this country. OK, fine, let's talk about it. But that conversation can't just consist of lectures about the evils of white racism. That is an essential part of the debate, but only half of it. There is a cultural breakdown taking place within the black community that is independent of white racism. Welfare dependency, 70% illegitamacy rates and a hostility to intellectualism ("acting white") are essential topics that have to be open for discussion. Some will still dismiss this as racist. Allright, but is Bill Cosby prejudiced against black people too? How about Thomas Sowell or John McWhorter or countless other black scholars who point to the same uncomfortable facts and voice the same thoughts? When Jesse Jackson says, "There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery--then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved", is he operating under the influence of a racist stereotype? Some people, like treytrenchard, think that poverty, caused by white racism, is in fact to blame. Ok, that's at least an argument (that I obviously disagree with) that we can have as long as we kick off that debate from a truthful starting point. Happy-talk, white guilt and good intentions will not change facts or make these problems go away. Thanks all. Last post.

6/21/2005 01:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home