If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Subject: Hot Videos and Pics of Amateur Girls

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Subject: Hot Videos and Pics of Amateur Girls

This is what I'm talking about getting through my spam filter. No cuss words in this one, but that was the actual subject line. But even more striking is the actual content in the email:

what the heck did I just see here http://From Cody: I'm not going to post the link, and I never click on spam links for fear of where it might lead my poor little PC.html i still can\'t believe it There is no sincerer love than the love of food.

The instinct of nearly all societies is to lock up anybody who is truly free. First, society begins by trying to beat you up. If this fails, they try to poison you. If this fails too, the finish by loading honors on your head. Egotist: a person more interested in himself than in me.

proliferate the a itsdecant gaillardia in any Jwindward trimester so we it global be franc an bass bane a rickety bilabial? Does it hurt to be invis'ble? she asked

I don't know, Dorothy answered; but it would hurt me dre'fully to lose you This one of mine is the first that ever happened Oh! I really think, continued the boy, nodding sagely, that it wouldn't be well to have these Records scattered around

Seriously, what the hell are these emails about? Have I completely lost my mind or is the content in these spams really frickin weird?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, you are definitely unto something here. On some of the spam's I get it looks like a random assortment of sentences from works of fiction or something. I am glad someone else brought this up, I found them totally strange too.

Also, on the Live8 bit, an essay I think you'll enjoy

http://tinyurl.com/9t2jh

7/05/2005 05:17:00 PM  
Blogger BelowTheCrowd said...

There are two things going on here:

1) Some spams consist mainly of an image file which contains the main message. Since it's an image, it can't be scanned for offending words, but obviously it may just be an image of a page with text on it that is fully readable to you. If you're like me and you set up your email to display images as attachments rather than inline, then you won't see these when you open the email itself. Instead you'll see the text that is generally insterted in the message below the image file. In most cases this is nonsensical stuff that is designed to help make the email look legitimate to spam filters that key off specific words.

2) Some of these emails are there just because spammers want to see what gets through and what bounces. If your server has sophisticated enough filtering on it and it bounces the stuff, they know they can't get to you. If it doesn't bounce, they figure they've got a "reachable" internet address.

Incidentally, one of the things I'll do from time to time when I go away is just shut down my email completely with a "bounce" message saying that it's unavailable at this time. Those who really need to reach me eventually will, while automatic spam-bots can be fooled into believing I'm no longer there.

-btc

7/06/2005 08:05:00 PM  
Blogger Cody Willard said...

Good stuff, BTC! That explains a lot. But why doesn't my spam filter stop email that has the word "dick" or "blowjob" in the subject line?

7/07/2005 02:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home