If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Boycotting NBC News

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Boycotting NBC News

I had to stop watching TV a couple days ago because the images of the Southeast devastation were simply too much after a while. But last night, I was at a friend's house for dinner and they had NBC's special coverage of the aftermath of Katrina on the tube.

As I started watching, some reporter from NBC who had gone into the areas affected in New Orleans was standing in waist-deep water talking into a microphone. He then talked about and showed footage of how he and his cameraman were picked up by some volunteer who was out on a windboat picking up stranded people.

I was sickened and angry beyond words when I heard him say that the boat was full and they couldn't pick up any more people. As they showed footage of stranded people screaming after the boat for help, he said that it was very sad and hard to hear their screams.

Why the hell are a reporter and his cameraman taking up a spot on a rescue boat?! People are dying because there are not enough rescue boats and not enough time out there -- and this NBC reporter and his camera man took up two seats that otherwise would have gone to stranded people.

I'm hoping I misunderstood the situation, and if anyone out there saw that report and has a different take on it, please post it in the comments section of this blog entry.

As it is, I'm boycotting NBC news.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of, I was watching FOX News last night. Sheperd Smith was knee-deep in water interviewing people as they finally made their way out of their homes to dry land/higher roads.

He was asking them questions like "Where are you coming from?" and "How do you feel right now?". This of course after most had been up for two or three straight days.

I was wondering if he felt weird at all for asking these people these particular questions, but he seemed unphased by it.

9/01/2005 05:15:00 PM  
Blogger Rabmanducky said...

cody these guys are trying to report what is happening. I dont know about you but I dont think people really grasp the magnitute what has happen. Come on an entire american city has been destroyed and unlivable. Millions are now homeless. Pictures explain more about what is happening, then words trust me. These guys are doing a valuable service. From my point of view people are still in denial of what has happened, and pretty apathetic to it.

9/01/2005 09:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I surf for interesting blogs, and came across your blog here.
Good stuff. Keep it going! I like it.

AWSOME Home Garden
website. It contains INTERESTING stuff about Home Garden.
Come and check it out. Enjoy!

9/02/2005 11:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home