If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: New Music Friday (October 21, 2005)

Friday, October 21, 2005

New Music Friday (October 21, 2005)

I had a different band in mind for this week's New Music Friday, but a friend of mine from Rolling Stone ping'd me yesterday with tickets for Death Cab for Cutie, and the concert was pretty darn good. I've known this band cursorily for years, so I don't think they really qualify as "new", but all well.




The only problem with DCC is that most of their songs feel like they never go to the "chorus". I mean, I like the hooks and the riffs and the melodies in the songs, but they just never really completely satisfy me. There's not enough (or any at all) long held notes to set off the chorus in almost all of the songs I've ever heard by them.

Regardless, I do like their music, and I really liked the band live and the lead singer's talking be
between songs was sweet and sounded sincere, so that was cool too.

My favorite song is this first one off their new album, Plans. The song is called Marching Band of Manhattan. The biggest song off the album is Soul Meets Body, and it's a good one too. Finally, don't miss The Sound of the Setting from an album in 2003.

PS. I'll post another "real" Cody Jam soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cody Willard said...

From my college sweetheart:

I read your blog pretty regularly now. Did you know that I went to
highschool with, and was in fact voted "co-student-athlete of the year" in
1993 with Nick Harmer, the bass player for Death Cab for Cutie? It's a
small world.

I ran 3 miles around Johnson Field this morning. That was a trip. I
literally felt like I had been transported back in time to when I used to be
timed for 4 miles. It's great to be here (ABQ) although it's much colder
than what I'm used to now! Paulina and I are hitting Il Vicino for lunch,
which is now managed by Lane, who we used to call "red-headed soccer guy."
Tomorrow I will watch the Lobos take on Colorado State, led by the efforts
of Kelly Therkelson, who I coached when she was 15 in Minnesota. All the
world is connected through me. :)

10/21/2005 04:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home