If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Retro Music Friday (November 4, 2005)

Friday, November 04, 2005

Retro Music Friday (November 4, 2005)

So I've been highlighting some new acts each Friday for a few weeks here. Of those I've highlighted thus far, I'd have to cite Kasabian as my favorite.

But today, I'm throwing a curveball out. We're going retro to look at one of my all-time favorite guitarist's best bands. Joe Walsh and James Gang.

I often quote my favorite line from Joe Walsh, which unfortunately comes from his days with the Eagles (a band I liked back in high school, but find I despise as an adult): "I can't complain but sometimes I still do."

Also, whatever happened to the wandering guitarist/artist? Joe, Clapton, and others used to just bounce from project to project -- do any big name guitarists do that anymore? I guess now you have Ben Gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie, The Postal Service and what not, but the wandering guitar/artist in the vein of Walsh and Clapton -- I can't think of any today.

Anyway, while I like the melodies and beats and the way that Walsh sings, it's all about the guitars on Walsh's James Gang songs. Funky rhythm and sweet, bluesy leads. Check out "Walk Away", "Midnight Man", "The Bomber", and my favorite "Tend my Garden". And of course, there's always "Funk #49".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home