If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: ATM -- Absolutely The Money (you requested)

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

ATM -- Absolutely The Money (you requested)

Every time I've ever -- and I mean EVER in my life -- pulled money from an ATM, it's been perfectly accurate in delivering the right quantity per my request. How is that possible? I mean, cell phones suck. Even old world circuit telephones strive to "five nines" reliable, meaning 99.999%.

I've never researched it, but I'd bet that ATMs are even more accurate than that.

That said, I look at my checking account statement like once every six months. Maybe I'm getting screwed somewhere on that side of the transaction.

Anyway, just another incredible wonder of our time and place on this planet. Amazing.

Anybody ever have issues (good or bad) with ATMs?

4 Comments:

Blogger MW said...

Hi Cody,
One time when I was in High School, the ATM gave me $40 extra!! It was amazing. I kept going back to that machine for a little while, but it never repeated. This is quite some time ago... (I am the same age as you).
All the best.
MW

1/04/2006 12:46:00 AM  
Blogger Cody Willard said...

That's funny, though I hope you gave the bank their money back. I never forget the time when I demanded to speak to a manager of MCDonald's cuz the employee didn't speak english well enough to understand that I was trying to give them a $10 back after they gave me too much change.

1/05/2006 05:54:00 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Cody, I worked in high school at a grocery store in Austin, TX. This was over the period from about 1995 to 1998. I worked in the cash office of the store, so we would keep the books and count down all of the money from the store. One of our daily jobs was to put cash into the ATM at the front of the store, and verify that the money in it matched the electronic record of withdrawals from it.

Long story short, the ATM *did* make mistakes. It probably happened about once a month. There are two kinds of mistakes, of course. The first is when you do the daily count and the ATM has *less* money in it than it should, which means it gave somebody extra dough.

The other kind of mistake you find out when somebody complains to a manager because the ATM shorted them. They *never* complain because they received too much.

I agree with you that ATMs are amazingly reliable. When you open one up and see all of the mechanical parts that count out the bills, and knowing from counting so much of it how inconsistent currency is from new bills to old, you can't believe they get so many transactions right. It is even more amazing when I compare it to the experience I have had in my life with copy/fax/printer devices.

1/05/2006 09:37:00 PM  
Blogger Calonego said...

Cody,

I had an ATM at a restaurant give me $60, after requesting $100. Must have been about 6yrs ago...
Long story short, the bank I was dealing with made the $40 difference back to me a month later.
One year later I gave the same bank back the $1000 extra a teller gave me while I was withdrawing some cash (I was so dazed while she was counting that I didn’t notice for a couple days!)...
You're most definitely right, people are very fallible in regards to money, those machines aren't!

JC

1/19/2006 02:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home