If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Is There Such a Thing as the Mini-Flip?

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Is There Such a Thing as the Mini-Flip?

So in a cab ride conversation with my friend, Carly, last weekend, she told me that she "mini-flipped" something. I told her that's not possible, because "flipping" is a superlative. Either you turn it upside down or you don't. You can't be mini-pregnant and you can't be very unique and you can't mini-flip.

But Carly pointed out that you can look at something more than two ways. Especially the abstract economic topics that I so love to flip. Hmm, great point. And I told her so.

Then yesterday, I hop into a cab to go get my haircut (oh, yes, this...hopefully more on this topic in the future), and the cab driver says, "I gave you a ride on Saturday. You were arguing about a funny topic with a lady."

"Holy cow!" I say. "That's an amazing coincidence and that's even more amazing that you remember!"

"Oh yes," he goes on in his thick Pakistani accent, "I remember because I kept thinking to myself that you were right and your friend was wrong."

Small world. But that story could only happen in NYC.

And the most ironic part of the whole thing: I think Carly is right. Mini-flips exist, no?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

While there are many ways to look at the topics you love to discuss, in the framework in which a trader views them there can only be two ways to look at them. They can have bullish implications, or they can have bearish implications. Perhaps it is the bilateral implications of the topics that can make it seem like there is only one way to "flip it".

1/26/2006 11:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you consider the origin of "flip side" or the literal meaning of flipping, I believe it supports that there is NO SUCH THING AS A MINI FLIP. The original term and meaning (Oxford dictionary) I believe implied opposite of the original position. Examples: flip a switch (light/dark), car flip (generally used for over turn), flip a coin (head/tail, flip flop (fish flip flopping one side to the other) etc. The term "flip side", I believe, originated from the old fashioned records. I know kiddo, I am dating myself (like the guy who is the source of the information on origination of the phrase which is listed here) and you are too young to remember those 45 rpm discs which had a hit song on one side and a crappy one on the other. The song that the record company wanted to promote most heavily would go on the A side. So when a DJ played that side, he would say "And now on the flip side...", and play side B, the lesser known track.

As I understand it there is another derivation of the "flip side" from CB radio fad of the '70s, where long-distance truckers would say "Catch you on the flip side" was CB slang for "I'll contact you on the return trip" ... the metaphor of a record turning being applied to trip from Point B back to A.

So "flip it" literally implies opposite and not inbetween. Mini flip is more like viewing situations/ life in the grey scales vs. black/ white. Hence a mini flip is more like a compromise or waffling, hedging, sitting on a fence etc. Forget mini flips kiddo, be bold and "FLIP IT".
MV

1/26/2006 12:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so happy that Carly made the blog.

The Girls who work in the meatpacking district---a district that is famous for mini-flipping.

1/26/2006 04:12:00 PM  
Blogger Cody Willard said...

Great comments...we're all mostly on the same page...

And...if there ever was a place that'd be perfect for mini-flipping it'd be in the Meatpacking district. And, I'm already a big fan of Carly's.

1/27/2006 07:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home