If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Revising My American Idol Confessional

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Revising My American Idol Confessional

Tis true. I like to watch American Idol. At least while they're touring the country finding singers. I mean, how about that lovely girl last night with the tinyi speaking voice who sounded like a symphony when she belted out those two songs? Like Paula, I had chills listening. And then when the girl starts crying tears of joy and her mother joins her. How can you not have to wipe your own eyes at that moment? Beautiful stuff.

That said, last season, after I'd written about how I actually like AI, it turned out that I only like the first few episodes. And that makes sense to me. Because at that point, those singers still have SOUL. They're bleeding for their chance. By the time they're made into "American Idols", they're cleansed, refined, bleached, and fluffed to the point where they sound like that soul-less commercial crap collectively called "pop".

3 Comments:

Blogger Candy said...

I don't watch AI that much, but I tuned in last night because it was people from NC. The part where that young girl belted out those songs gave me chills and brought me to tears. I hope she wins. I'll tune into the finale to see if she made it that far... but, she doesn't need AI to be a star, she could do it on her own.

1/25/2006 02:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mind over madness eh ace?

1/25/2006 10:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hardly ever watch TV especially AI, but I was with a friend yesterday who is a big fan and hence ended up watching the show. That girl was the only one I actually listened to. Btw, her mother is Ann Nesby who was nominated in 2003 for the Grammy category of the best traditional R&B performance. I am not much into Gospel, which is bulk of
Ann's work with the Sounds of Blackness, but some of her songs in her solo album are pretty good. Her little girl IMHO does not need AI. I wonder why she is going through AI, which as you noted produces commercial crap, when she can probably produce a much better quality solo of her own based on her mother's credentials. I am sure any record company would be happy to sign her up. As far as your getting chills listening to the little girl further validates the point I made to you several times that rock ain't the only great music, as you keep insisting, and that you need to listen more to R&B, soul and the blues to hear true great singers and appreciate their amazing voices.

I am surprised though that you like AI and did not like Rock Star INXS which IMHO had much better talent primarily because I think the contestants were older. The winner was in his early 30's. As they say "youth is a gift but age is a work of ART!" So kiddo, you are still a block of marble, yet to be chisled into a "David" like work of art or should I say a rock star?
MV

1/25/2006 10:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home