If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Cody on RM: The Competition From Cash

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Cody on RM: The Competition From Cash

The Competition From Cash
07/12/2006 9:26 AM EDT

I got ramblin', I got ramblin' all on my mind
Hate to leave my baby, but you treats me so unkind
-- Robert Johnson


Monday night I was at dinner with one of my partners. We were talking about his investments, his career and how he (and others) manages his overall portfolio.

Eventually we started talking about his investment in a bunch of high-yield trusts and high-yield preferred stocks that he'd put a bunch of money into a couple years ago, when he'd sold his apartment in New York City for a big gain. He'd grown increasingly leery of the real estate market and rents an apartment in the city now as he still has no interest in real estate.

Most of those high-yield assets are in energy-related vehicles, so we started talking about the blow-off top in commodities and how energy has hung pretty tough during this meltdown. He said he felt like he'd been lucky because he has 20% of his assets in these investments. I said, "Whoa, 20%! Nice job and all, but should you take something off the table?" He answered, "Yeah, I suppose I should, but dammit, Cody, it's hard to walk away from an average of about an 8% yield on these things."

And that's when it hit me, and I pointed out to both of us at once: Hey, you know what? Cash yields more than 5% in some places right now -- 5%!

Now, 5% ain't 8%. But cash is cash, man, and unless the fiat U.S. dollar and the society we've built on it collapse tomorrow, cash is as just about as safe an investment as you can have in this world right now. Those energy trusts and preferreds and other assets and whatnot that yield 8% are decidedly not cash. Every investment in any company comes with fraud risk, options-backdating risk, execution risk and all kinds of other risks.

So my friend turns to me and says, "Hmm, I think I'm going to sell some of that high-yield stuff and park it in some cash."

That is a real-life example of what it means when someone points out that the higher yields of cash are starting to compete for investment dollars. Indeed, my buddy's capital has flowed out of the system from which we finance growth and investment in this capitalistic society. It's now drawing 5% while sitting idle in cash.

In the last couple of years, depending on your starting point, while the yield on cash has been sprinting to 5%, the S&P 500 has been mostly rangebound and essentially flat, yielding capital appreciation and dividends of about 5% or a little more. You don't think investors look at the yield and safety of cash and wonder why they're dealing with all the stresses and risks in the market? They do.

Maybe it all will reverse and maybe the Fed will cut rates because the governors end up deciding they did take things too far after all. Maybe the market will take off in a huge rally, and the returns on stocks will suck everyone back in.

I do think the stock market is a much better place to be in the intermediate and long term than cash. But we can't analyze the attractiveness of stocks in a vacuum. Because there are indeed other asset classes competing for our money. And one of those is safe ol' cash and its 5% yield.

So, for right now I still prefer to be in cash, as I have been for the last couple months, during which time cash has yielded about 1% while the markets have, well, melted down.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cody,

I agree with you that the allure of cash has been magnified in recent months, and that your suggestion to realize some of your friend's nice gains is well founded. Assuming you have built a nice cash base, you also seem to be in a really advantageous position now to take advantage of tech's weakness. While I have no problem keeping more cash than normal in these volatile markets, I do think it that in hindsight there were major oppotunities for trades on the short side. With all the news and earnings coming out I am sure you're busy out of your mind, so I won't make this too long. I did send a resume to you via e-mail from my UConn address and I was wondering if you have received it or not. Have a nice day, kinda like BCOM.

7/13/2006 01:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the land of the heavily mortgaged, credit card crazed, up to his ass in debt, got 3% a year in my big cap mutual fund 401k for the last seven years type common folk, you bet your sweet ass Cash is King. Especially for those who don't have any. I love all the bitchin' especially when the market is barely down for the year. Got Cash?!!!

7/13/2006 06:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had lunch with a business partner yesterday and we had the exact same conversation. In recent years cash was not even an investment option with only a low single digit yield. Investors were trying to decide between stocks, commodities, emerging markets, etc. I think investors are just beginning to realize cash is now a viable option at 5%. With geopolitical and economic risk continuing to climb, investors will soon choose cash over other investments. The question is where will they pull money from. The rest of the summer should be interesting.

7/14/2006 10:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got out of the stock market months ago. There is nothing better than having a pile of cash earning 5% with no stress in these difficult times. It is worth one's mental health.Sometimes the most simple strategies are too easy for people to see.

7/14/2006 11:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see Cody has a new picture (as if one is not enough), he's looking very introspective.
Just saw his latest RM post...gee, what priopriatary information (and all this for $25 a month) telling us to "stay on the sidelines"......hmmm, a lot of value-add there!!

7/17/2006 02:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home