If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Cody on RM: On Being Raccoon-ish

Monday, July 03, 2006

Cody on RM: On Being Raccoon-ish

Hunting for Trades
07/03/2006 12:10 PM

When I was a kid, there was this raccoon which couldn't be stopped. He'd sneak in and eat my mom's vegetable garden no matter what obstacles we'd put in front of him. And we certainly did put all kinds of obstacles in front of him. From chicken wire fencing to electric shock fencing to spraying of natural scents around the large garden in our orchard. But nothing we came up with could stop the little guy. He'd always figure out a way to get around it and to get his vegetables.

I bring this up because it'd take a smart, diligent raccoon approach to find much in this market to trade right now.
The markets keep putting up all kinds of obstacles to stop the bulls, from the rolling dislocations to what had been an endless parade of Fed heads talking up inflation and all the other things weighing on this market that I highlighted in my closing post Friday.

But the best, smartest raccoons keep coming and looking for great trades and investments regardless of what the broader picture puts in front of them, including the possibility that the Fed heads start opening their mouths again, which I fully expect.
Oh, and that raccoon from my childhood? I finally took a rifle and my dog and slept in the garden for four nights in a row, and that raccoon never showed up. Until the fifth night when we'd given up.

Don't give up, there's money to be made. I'm just trying to be raccoon-smart about going for it.

I guess you could say that I'm neither bullish or bearish -- I'm raccoonish.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a bummer you no longer have original content in your blog. We can read your good RM posts on thestreet.com...

7/03/2006 02:37:00 PM  
Blogger IDigHootchAndCootch said...

even if rates do go up - historically speaking we are still looking at low numbers. These incremental rate announcements, at least for now, make more of an impact if you are looking for a quick flip, no?

7/03/2006 07:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cody,

I was in New York two weeks ago working for Deutsche Bank as part of my MBA at the University of Denver. Just wanted to say good call moving to Soho; much more life and energy than downtown and I can see how it'd be easier to focus. Plus you've got Ray's close by for some meatball heros. Best of luck with this tape.

7/04/2006 11:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cody
It is all for fun. Happy 4th I hope you had a great one. oh on the raccoons you did the right thing in my book anyway, you were smart to never cross a raccoon or even think of trying to shoot one they are like the market they never leave, they might leave your pockets empty, but they always return so you have a chance to keep your pockets full. I am having a great time watching the fireworks from Morro Bay to Cayacous I just read your post on the chamber bros. They were the BEST LIVE, Man you think their songs are good on your I tunes, you had to see them live to really rock to the music it was so good. Happy 4th, to ya Cody, thanks to all and to all on this glorious
day.
Claudia

7/05/2006 02:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS
Thanks Rev.

7/05/2006 03:09:00 AM  
Blogger muckdog said...

Cody, hate to burst your theory. But there are no raccoons in the Forbes top 100 wealthiest list.

7/06/2006 06:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it depends on your metric...when you have partners to answer to along, it becomes a case of best offense = good defense...especially being up substantially, i'd be more inclined to sit back and wait as well...with earnings season coming, it may be a good time for some quick trades as well as establish some new positions...the market could be very irrational and throw some sales...

7/06/2006 11:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shirtless pic please!

7/07/2006 08:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home