If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: That Addictive HD

Thursday, August 24, 2006

That Addictive HD

I often write about how we'll eventually be able to "pull" whatever content we want off the net rather than having to let the centrally-controlled powers-that-be "push" that content to us. Most of that video content that we "pull" off the net at Youtube.com and what not is not exactly HD.

That will change over time, but in the meantime, I don't know if you guys realize it, but HD really is pretty awesome. We've got a 102" DLP HD projector from InFocus in my office and I've got a 42" Plasma Panasonic at my apartment. One thing I've noticed is that I can't hardly watch non-HD on my cable systems now. Might as well watch YouTube.

I think I've seen 10x more Discovery Channel in the last couple months than I'd seen in the rest of my life combined. Sharks, tigers, even just clips of the Grand Canyon, which my father and I almost died in once in a bad idea camping trip back in college -- it doesn't matter, you just can't take your eyes off it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's funny is ESPN HD. I saw that for the first time last week. While checking out SportsCenters, I found that the ticker and graphics come through brilliantly, but since hardly any of the games are recorded in HD, the video appears horrible in comparison.

8/24/2006 10:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally right on the HD thing, i now find my self never leaving my HD channels, never going to my non HD channels to even check what is on.

"I think I've seen 10x more Discovery Channel in the last couple months than I'd seen in the rest of my life combined."

HAHAHAH I know exactly what you mean. I also love the PBS HD, they often go around the world to different places in HD, man i dont even need to travel after seeing all these places in stunning HD. Never even watched PBS, Discovery, or TNT before i got my HD TV, but now that i get them in HD its almost all i watch. Do you get inHD or HDnet? they also have great stuff.

8/24/2006 10:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cody,

You're absolutely right about HD TV. It's amazing. But my wife was complaining the other night, “Why don’t they have more HD channels?”
It's a question worth asking, particularly when you spend over $2000 on a plasma or LCD TV. It's really a waste of technology. There's simply not enough HD content, and I think that's a dumb business decision on the part of network and cable channels. Not every network wants to pay for the cost because the switch requires new equiptment not to mention training. It's sort of like the movie industry not going digital on a big scale. Movie houses refuse to pay for digital projectors, so we're still making films by the foot rather than megabytes. The smart people have figured it out, so will just have to wait I guess. I worked for Sony Film and Television and these people fear change and they are so freaking stubborn.

8/24/2006 11:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I competely agree; I've had this same conversation with most of my HD early-adopter friends.

I'm a TimeWarner HD customer in Manhattan, and I almost exlusively channel surf with my "favorites" button on the remote which is programmed with every HD channel and just a handful of Standard defs.

The additional utility is multiples over the extra costs.

Did you catch the "Beavers" show on INHD2? Absolutely unreal.

-
msq.nyc@gmail.com

8/25/2006 09:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home