If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Referring to Oneself Is a Sign of Sanity

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Referring to Oneself Is a Sign of Sanity

I was too excited about coming into work today to get much sleep last night. And at some point, I was watching a clip from one of the 2072 actual Law & Order spin offs (as opposed to the 823,208 Law & Order knockoffs) that is also a spin off of Perry Mason and which stars that one strangely named dude who's a good actor.


Anyway, the point is that as he's breaking down this dude who's trying to convince them of his innocence by saying his shrine to women's underwear and dead animals is simply a method of method acting, the bad guy says, "I've seen that type of stuff on TV. You know, all those forensic cop shows." And I'm wondering to myself -- you know, if they really wanted to make it realistic wouldn't they specifically refer to the name "Law & Order" in that dialogue?

You know they won't because conventional wisdom would tell you that it's unrealistic to refer to one's own show in the show. Right? I mean, they'll pretend that their own shows don't exist in the actual show because they think that people would think that'd be disingenuous. But that's wrong, man -- flip it. Shows should refer to themselves to remain realistic.

Then again, would it make sense if that D'Onofrio's character referred to his own character? Pandora's box? Maybe that's where the saying of "referring to oneself in the third person is a sign of insanity" comes from. Speaking of which, I always wonder if the person saying that is referring to oneself in the third person by using the word "oneself."

Whatever. I guess I'll get back to the work that I was too excited about to sleep last night. Now that I've finished this post. (Ah, yeah, I referred to my own post in the post -- that keeps it real, according to this post, right?)

1 Comments:

Blogger TripleQ said...

Perhaps they were trying to refer to CSI? That's the first "forensic cop" show that comes to mind.. Law & Order is more of a "cops and lawyer" show to me. But that's just me.

9/05/2006 02:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home