If your browser doesn't automatically take you to The Cody Blog within a few seconds, please click here.
The Cody Blog: Hangin' With KISS

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Hangin' With KISS

People keep asking me if that's "really" Gene Simmons with me in that pic to the right. Indeed it is. I'm good buds with their agent. My man, Mitch, rocks and he's hooked me up with some great tickets, but nothing will ever quite touch the experience of hangin' with KISS.

Back when my best friend from childhood, Neil Patrick Harris, and I were kids, we used to fantasize with our older brothers about being KISS. Matter of fact, I was Gene Simmons for Halloween more than once. And the reason I play a Les Paul? Ace Frehley. My brother and I were obsessed with KISS for a few years, much to my parents' chagrin. I even remember discussing my favorite KISS song at the time ("You got nothin' to lose") with Misty Coors. Truth be told, I sorta' diefied the band.

Anyway, a year or so ago, I showed up at MSG with my best friend from high school, Robert Sayner, and another good friend of mine, and we picked up these tickets that Mitch has set up for us. We had seats A1-A3 --- the very front row for KISS!

I mean, when Gene blew his fire, we could feel it. When the explosions rocked the building on "Rock n Roll All Night", we almost got singed. I mean, it was so close and so cool. Peter Cris even gave the other friend who was with us a rose as he sang "Beth", practically to her. My ears rang for days afterward (probably cuz I took out the earplugs for "God of Thunder!").

Afterward we got to go backstage and hang in the dressing room. It was pretty fun, as it was just the five or six of us and we drank a beer and chatted with Gene and Paul. At one point, some editors from Rolling Stone came in. Apparently, RS had given KISS' latest concert a bad review because it was too similar to past shows. Paul was pissed and told them, "We're out there entertaining people and doing a great job, selling out arenas. People love our show. You know, criticizing our concert is like criticizing Christmas. It's pretty similar every year. What, you guys don't like Christmas!"

What a great line! I like Christmas. And I do like KISS' concerts too!

Here's another pic --- Gene's copping a feel in this one. As Mitch once said to me: "Everyone needs on their desk a picture of themselves with grown men with make up. Helps when you're meeting with new clients. "


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cody--

Besides Ruidoso, Kiss is another thing we have in common. When you saw them, did Ace play or was it the sometimes replacment guy? Also, speaking of your parents' chagrin, I remember hearing a rumor once that you and your brother had to get rid of your Kiss albums. Something to do with religion. True?

--Jason B

10/20/2005 05:33:00 PM  
Blogger Cody Willard said...

Ah, Jason,

It was the replacement.

And, Lance did indeed burn all of HIS KISS records. But that was cuz he and Kirk Ryan decided KISS was evil. I told them, even as I was only 11 or somethign at the time, that they were nuts! And Lance kicked my butt for it, but he didn't burn my KISS records --- and I still have them in my parents basement somewhere.

Kids is satan's service! Hah!!

10/20/2005 05:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cody--

So the rumor was true. I was going to say "burn" before, because that's what I heard, but thought that must have been an embellishment. Lance ended up coming back around to the dark side, though, as he was a full-on metalhead by the time I graduated in '86 (ref my first post a month or two ago about singing Paranoid with his band).

The first time I saw KISS was in El Paso in 1982, the Creatures tour, their last one before the makeup came off. My brother and I were so excited to see our heroes, even though Peter Criss was gone and replaced by Eric Carr, and then they came out and there was this dude with a gold ankh painted on his face! Who's THAT guy? We had to buy a program to learn his name was Vinnie Vincent. So you're not the only one who saw an Ace "replacement." Didn't matter that much, though, as Paul and Gene are the heart and soul of the group.

--Jason B

10/21/2005 12:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home